13 July 2013

Genealogy Serendipity and the False Identity Story

From the cover of 'Inside History'
A few days ago, in False Identity and other Eureka Moments in Family History, I mentioned my article (published in Inside History magazine) about 19th century immigrants to Australia who travelled using false identities.

Today I received an email that stunned and delighted me. It said,
You came to Coffs Harbour and gave us a talk some time ago... I have just read your article in Inside History regarding John and Peter Anderson travelling under false names on the Hannah Landels. John Anderson is my great grandfather... I have searched and searched and had the Oxley Library and others in Queensland look for me and we couldn't find them on the passenger list.
The chances of a descendant reading that article must surely have been very small - and yet it happened, and the descendant is someone I've met. This is just amazing - and, for that descendant, a big Eureka moment!

6 comments:

  1. This is definitely a "Eureka Moment"! Fantastic.

    I really enjoyed the article too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. A day later, I am still shaking my head in amazement at the way this worked out.

      Delete
  2. Great result, Judy... it's the unexpected that gives the most pleasure...Congratulations... the article was very interesting. I did wonder at the time if there are ever outcomes on some of the articles... glad to see there was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I must remember to ask Cassie Mercer whether there have been similarly exciting results from other articles in 'Inside History' magazine.

      Delete
  3. Both amazing and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, Maureen. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

If you think we are related, or if you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar here (or an alternative address shown on www.judywebster.com.au).